How can I watch The L Word in the UK I hear you ask?
This must be the most searched term by lesbians worldwide this century! LesFlicks has the answer!
If you are in the UK, and haven’t managed to find a way to secretly watch The L Word: Generation Q yet, we have good news. You can legally watch it in the UK from 4 February 2020.
How, I hear you cry?!
Watching The L Word in the UK
In the UK SKY have finally announced an air date. It is 4 February 2020 on SKY ATLANTIC.
If you don’t have SKY, fear not as Sky Atlantic is available as an add on for NOW TV which is available on a month by month basis. You will need to get an entertainment pass, and this will give you access to the Sky Atlantic channel which is screening the show.
NOW TV offers a 7 day free trial on their entertainment pass for new customers. Please note the 7 day free trial then Entertainment Pass auto-renews at £8.99 a month, unless cancelled.
3 ways to subscribe and watch The L Word:
- Through your subscription to SKY TV (channel 108 in HD, or 808 in standard) either weekly via the box set
- Through a subscription to NOW TV with an Entertainment Pass on demand
- By finding a friend with either of the above!
Ok, so when you have access to SKY Atlantic, how and when can you watch it?
- Watch it week by week, at 9pm Tuesday evenings across 8 weeks (all the spoilers have been out for months anyway) – perfect if you want to spread this out and enjoy the series
- Binge the entire series through the boxset
The L Word: Generation Q has officially been renewed for another 10-episode season!
Will SKY or another UK Network show season 2 and how can we make sure we don’t have to wait next time?!
The good news is on the same day we got the date announced by SKY, SHOWTIME confirmed they have agreed to pick up a second season. However there is no guarantee that SKY or any UK network will pay for the second season. This is where the viewing numbers are very important! Networks such as SKY have to pay the content owners to license the show. They will only do that if they think it will have enough viewers. Viewers = advertising income and also revenue through subscriptions.
This now that means it is really important to make sure UK viewing numbers on Sky Atlantic are as high as possible as it isn’t guaranteed that Sky will pick it up again. So even if you found another way to watch it, please watch it again on SKY Atlantic.
What can I do to help ensure season 2 is picked up in the UK?
Another great question!
When you next go to make dinner, why not just let the series run, I know it will use a little bit of electric, but it will be worth it! The more times everyone can watch the show, the better.
Talk about The L Word online using the hashtag #LWordGenQUK to show there is a large UK audience for this series. Watch it legally, and encourage your friends to do the same.
Why should I pay to watch The L Word?
The people who programme what we can watch decide what is popular based on viewing numbers. If numbers are lower than expected, those TV executives will likely decide that there is not an audience for lesbian content. This could prevent the channel from picking up future titles. If viewing numbers are high, those same executives might decide what we already know – we will watch content if it is available and we know how to access it. There is a real myth in the industry that queer women will not pay to watch TV or film. At LesFlicks we believe that this is a misunderstanding – we know you’re just desperate to see that tiny ounce of representation and often it isn’t available legally so you go looking for it. We don’t blame you – and most of you don’t realise just how serious piracy is.
The legal bit – knowing the law
A lot of women have already seen the show through illegal sharing. We’re really keen to make sure you know the law as piracy has some really big fines and even prison sentences attached to it. We love our community and we want you to stay safe, so here is our quick guide to piracy so you know you’re not breaking the law.
How to know if the link I’ve been given is illegal
- If you are accessing it for free, without a free trial, and not through one of the approved networks listed on this page; it is piracy and illegal
- If it is on a Google Drive, streaming site, file sharing site, torrent site or free site such as YouTube, it is piracy and illegal
What are the penalties for illegal piracy of film and TV?
- If you were the one who ripped it from an official channel, or uploaded it to anywhere; this is really bad. Piracy laws worldwide differ, but all include a prison sentence. Depending on where you are prosecuted anything from 4 years to life. The average prison sentence worldwide is 16 years.
- If you are watching illegal content and it is traced back to you; social media networks may ban your access for breaking the rules, your internet provider may take away your internet access for breaching the terms and conditions you signed which state you won’t use the internet for illegal activity. So you could end up disconnected from the digital world.
LesFlicks is a new dedicated site that aims to increase the knowledge of, and access to, lesbian film and TV
If you found this information useful please share it with your friends. Also please check out our video on demand channel which is available now for you to watch on your dedicated #lesbian streaming service.
LesFlicks launched earlier this year and features a wide variety of feature films, shorts, music videos and webseries for and by Lesbian and Bi Women awaits! Comedy, drama, romance, whatever takes your fancy, stay in and watch great queer women films. The more subscribers we have, the more content we can add so tell all your friends! Subscribing directly supports lesbian and bisexual filmmakers.
Heard about another channel? Let us know and we’ll add it!
- Australia: Stan
- Canada: CraveTV
- Denmark: HBO Nordic
- Finland: HBO Nordic
- France: Canal+
- Ireland: Sky Atlantic
- New Zealand: Neon / Sky
- Norway: HBO Nordic
- Spain: Movistar
- Sweden: HBO Nordic
- Poland: HBO GO
- UK: Sky Atlantic
- USA: Showtime (Geoblocked + requires US credit card)
Countries without a network
(so you will be unable to legally access The L Word)
Brazil, Chile, Germany, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, South Africa
Is your country missing? DM us on social and we’ll find out for you.
Please, if you really have to illegally watch The L Word (we do understand), choose to use a VPN and pay for a subscription through a legal distributor). Please do not watch any illegally uploaded free copies – these really do have a huge detrimental impact on future programmes.
Spread the word
Use the images below to share with your friends!